For a hearty, chocolatey result, we asked one of our members, the Naturhotel Rainer, who gave us the following recipe (serves 10):
- 1.5 kg chestnuts
- 250 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp rum (optional, not for children)
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Vanilla sugar
- 400 g dark chocolate
- Cream to garnish
- Boil the unpeeled chestnuts in water for 40 to 45 minutes until soft.
- Then peel, divide and hollow them out.
- Either press the chestnut pulp through a potato masher or pulp it using a blender.
- Add the icing sugar, rum, breadcrumbs and vanilla sugar and knead it all into a soft mass.
- Form the mixture into heart shapes and cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the dark chocolate slowly in a bain-marie, stirring constantly.
- Then, using a fork, dip the chestnut hearts into the melted chocolate tip first, leaving the top free of the mixture.
- Place the hearts on baking paper to dry until the chocolate is solid. In the meantime, whip the cream with the sugar until stiff and decorate the top of the chestnut hearts using a piping bag.
- Put a little of the pressed chestnut mixture on the cream and enjoy!
© Pur Südtirol
© Naturhotel Rainer